Friday, March 25, 2011

50 Years Ago

I was sitting in therapy yesterday watching my little girl and wondering what her life would have been like if she were not born today and not born in the area where we live.  Would she be walking at all, albeit with her walker?  Would she be in a regular kindergarten class and having play dates with her friends?
Would she have a walker, and $3000 braces on her legs and night splints and therapists?

It would be so interesting to look at how her life would be, how my life would be?

I wonder if she would have been more sidelined, and if I, as her parent, would have just gone with the flow.  Would I have said "ok, you have a disability and your life will not be as big as it is now?"
Or would I have fought the tide of people saying she could not do things or was not capable.  I like to think I was that strong, but maybe I wouldn't have been.  Those people and parents that did stand up and say "no" really had to have been amazing.  They were on a trip up stream and had no idea what the future holds.

But then again, maybe I am doing that, and I am being weak for her right now.  Maybe there are cutting edge treatments and therapies I haven't thought to find and maybe she could be doing even better.  Maybe I am going with the flow and doing what everyone else does.

Am I really looking far enough outside the box for her, and do I have one more ounce of time or energy to do that while I am raising my family.  I don't really know.
Oh crap, more to feel guilty about!

No comments:

Post a Comment